Tuesday, November 20, 2012

How To Cook Bannock In The Backcountry



In this video I show you one of my new favorite eats in the outdoors... Bannock!

Bannock is essentially just bread, but is very easy to make in the woods. It has been made for over a 1000 years, all over the world from the Scotts to the Romans to Native Americans, each with their own variety. Bannock is a simple recipe (included below) but was usually made and combined with whatever was available. Strawberries in season? Throw them in, etc.

One thing I will say in my own quest for getting bannock right, is that there really is no "right". Experiment with recipes at home until you perfect it and then try it in the woods.

NOMOREOP4'S RECIPE:
Thin layer oil on cooking pan
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 TBSP Overflowing Sugar (more for increased sweetness)
1/2 TBSP Baking Powder (NOT BAKING SODA)
Pinch of Salt
1/4 to 1/2 Cup Water

Premix dry ingredients in a bag, add water when ready to cook. I have been most successful using only enough water to moisten all ingredients. I have not been successful when the bannock mix was a runny consistency. Do not flatten bannock or it will not cook through well and will burn on the outside. Bannock can burn easily if not careful. I add a bit of water and cover the pan to cook the top and sides faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment